The De Beers Group of Companies
People. Process. Performance. You’ll keep sight of it all.
Bold and optimistic. You communicate openly and enjoy being part of a fantastic team with an unwavering commitment to safety.
Come and join us working at Venetia, South Africa’s most valuable diamond mine. As we develop the mine underground, it is also one of the largest infrastructure projects in the country.
As a Junior Geotechnical Engineer you will provide direction to the production personnel regarding the Geotechnical aspects of mining; ground monitoring; risk management and quality control oversight.
To push our company forwards, we always need to think differently. We welcome diverse perspectives,
people who spark fresh thinking and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
In return, we provide you with the space and support to grow and achieve your ambitions.
You are required to:
- Enforce Rockfall Code of Practice; Geotechnical Standards; Risk Assessments and associated Mining and Geotechnical Procedures
- Perform ground conditions inspections and assessments and recommendations including quality control and/or assurance of ground support where applicable
- Implement aspects of the geotechnical program and/or strategy within given standards and procedures by collecting, assessing and analysing technical data
- Perform structural mapping, data processing and analysis
- Supervise; guide and aide Contractors appointed for geotechnical and / or ground support work
- Conduct routine review of monitoring data with aim of identifying possible unstable zones etc
- Assist in installing, maintaining, monitoring and interpreting surface instrumentation including piezometers; crack-meters; slope monitoring devices
- Implement the Pit Hazard Plan
- Update plans and rock mass characterisation e.g. Pit Hazard Plan (GCD Plan); Seepage mapping Plan etc
- Attend or assist with monthly pre-planning and planning meetings
- Attend risk assessments and provide input with regards to Geotechnical related issues
- Investigate fall of ground incidents, accidents and submitting written reports thereof
- Assist the Geotechnical Engineer with coordinating, monitoring and giving feedback on performance of new products / trials being tested / conducted on-mine
- Perform routine quality control inspections, investigations and assessments of all works
- Conduct and /or observe and monitor quality control tests of all ground support products
- Participate in standby duties
- Grade 12 certificate or relevant NQF level 4 qualifications
- Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Technology or National Diploma in (Geology/Engineering Geology/Mining)
- Chamber of Mines Certificate in Strata Control
- Candidates who have completed some rock mechanics papers and are studying towards the Chamber of Mines Rock Mechanics Certificate would be at an advantage
Experience & knowledge required:
- 2 - 3 years’ experience in an Open Pit Geotechnical role within a mine
- Successfully obtain a Red Ticket (Medical Fitness certificate) and Security clearance on mine
- Your consideration for employment is subject to your SAPS Criminal Record verification and qualifications verification
Who we are
De Beers Group is a company with a rich history and a sparkling future.
Since 1888 our experts have searched the world for nature’s most precious gem. Our diamonds bring beauty to the world. But we think they can do so much more. We want our diamonds, and our business, to make life brilliant – for our people, our customers and the world around us.
Venetia Mine is part of De Beers Group Managed Operations Business which integrates mines, operations and support functions in the De Beers Group producer countries of Canada and South Africa to shape a safe, sustainable future for De Beers Group’s people, shareholders, communities and partners.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others' actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect .
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfil their potential.