University of South Africa (UNISA)
PROJECT DIRECTOR: YOUNG AFRICAN LEADERS INITIATIVE (YALI)
REGIONAL LEADERSHIP CENTRE: SOUTHERN AFRICA (P4)
FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
2 MONTHS FIXED- TERM CONTRACT
The SBL seeks t appint a suitably qualified and experienced candidate as the PROJECT
DIRECTOR: YALI REGIONAL LEADERSHIP CENTER SOUTHERN AFRICA (P4).
The Yung African Leaders Initiative (YALI) is a United States Gvernment effrt t invest in
the next generatin f African leaders. The establishment f fur YALI Reginal Leadership
Centers (RLCs) acrss Africa is a critical cmpnent f the initiative. There are fur Reginal
Leadership Centres (Ghana, Kenya, Senegal and Suthern Africa).
These Centers serve as
reginal hubs acrss the cntinent t encurage transfrmatinal learning and enhance
leadership skills with an emphasis n three key areas: Business and Entrepreneurship
Develpment; Civic Leadership; and Public Management and Gvernance.
Implemented in clse cllabratin with the MasterCard Fundatin, the YALI Reginal
Leadership Centers are a prject f the United States Agency fr Internatinal Develpment
(USAID). Each Reginal Leadership Center is managed under a public/private partnership
between USAID, lcal and internatinal private sectr partners.
Based at the University f Suth Africa (UNISA) Graduate Schl f Business Leadership
(SBL) in Midrand, the incumbent will prvide strategic leadership and versight fr
management f the YALI RLC SA, and related peratins acrss the 14 cuntry SADC
regin. S/he will prvide technical and managerial leadership t ensure that prject
implementatin cmplies with USAID and UNISA plicy and regulatins, and successfully
advances YALI gals.
The incumbent further manages the daily peratins and reprts n prject implementatin.
The RLC SA Prject Directr represents the YALI RLC SA at technical and netwrking
frums with dnrs, the private sectr and ther natinal, reginal and cmmunity-level
stakehlders. S/he is in charge f engaging resurce partners t sustain the Centre and its
The psitin reprts t the Executive Dean & CEO f the UNISA Graduate Schl f
Business Leadership (SBL), and with versight by the RLC SA Management Cmmittee.
Even thugh the Cvid-19 pandemic has fundamentally changed hw we wrk, and hw we
supprt ur students and cmmunities, the SBL is reinventing itself t be at the frefrnt f
shaping new business agendas by seeking value-adding ways in fur research fcus areas:
(1) Respnsible Leadership in Practice; (2) Sustainable Livelihds; (3) Intra-Africa Trade
and Investment; and (4) Digital Transfrmatin and Investment.
- A Master`s Degree preferably in Prject Management/ Administratin/ Yuth
- Ten (10) years’ experience in managerial capacity f which five (5) years must
have been in prject management;
- Significant experience managing practical, experiential training prgrams;
- Demnstrated experience managing mid-t lng term dnr funded prjects;
- Actin and results riented, flexibility t balance pririties and meet tight
deadlines and ability t wrk under pressure;
- Demnstrated experience engaging with senir representatives frm public,
private and nn-prfit sectrs;
- Strng rganisatinal skills with a particular fcus n managing details;
- Excellent prblem slving, interpersnal, teamwrk and leadership skills;
- Ability t manage multiple pririties simultaneusly and effectively;
- Outstanding listening and cmmunicatin skills (bth written and ral);
- Demnstrated ability t establish and maintain effective relatinships and
partnerships with key stakehlders;
- Ability t explain visin, values and standards f a leadership rganisatin and
set the apprpriate examples;
- Knwledge f leadership develpment
- Demnstrated ability t wrk in a small r large team setting
- Excellent cmputer skills (Must be prficient in MS Office applicatins)
- Plitical and cultural sensitivity
- Sund judgement and ability t maintain cnfidentiality
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Prvide strategic visin and directin fr the YALI RLC SA grwth and
- Develp and implement lng term gals and bjectives t achieve the successful
utcme f the YALI RLC SA prgram;
- Lead and direct the develpment and implementatin f RLC SA gvernance
- Engage partners and stakehlders as apprpriate in setting the visin fr the
RLC SA, including the curriculum, the in-persn training experience, the nline
training experience, supplementary activities, and alumni engagement;
- Ensure RLC SA staff develpment fr a team and high-perfrmance delivery;
- Develp a strng team arund YALI RLC SA; and
- Cnsult with experts and prfessinal netwrks wrking t keep abreast f
current leadership develpment strategies and successful innvatins in yuth
Operatins and reprting
- Guide and versee the implementatin f bjectives f the Centre by adhering t
the plicies and prcedures defined by the UNISA, USAID and RLC SA
- Oversee RLC SA training prgrams, prject mnitring, learning and evaluatin,
including fr sub-award partners;
- Manage the preparatin, implementatin and mnitring f prject annual
- Prvide all required infrmatin t the RLC SA Gverning Structures;
- Manage the preparatin f quarterly and annual reprts t USAID and ther
funding partners as required;
- Develp prject prcurement plans;
- Manage and crdinate all RLC SA internal and external cmmunicatins;
- Manage prject schedules and resurces ensuring the quality, timeliness and
accuracy f deliverables;
- Oversee RLC SA relatinships with partner institutins, including sub-award
partners and private sectr partners.
Partnerships and Stakehlder Relatinships
- Develp and implement fundraising strategies and prmte RLC SA partnership
- Identify, develp and maintain relatinships with resurce partners;
- Maintain clse wrking relatinship with USAID and ther key stakehlders;
- Develp strategic partnerships (lcally, reginally, and internatinally) that
supprt the RLC SA’s grwth and sustainability.
- Liaise with facilitatin and supprt staff n the implementatin f YALI’s strategic
and peratinal plans;
- Build relatinships with wrld-class learning institutins, universities, and external
thught leaders and vendrs t prvide unique, custmised blended learning
- Cnsult stakehlders, businesses and gegraphical areas t identify, create, and
implement blended executive develpment slutins;
- Prvide feedback t the relevant rle players as required.
Manage YALI Resurces
- Manage Staff
- Manage Centre Budget
A wrk-related assessment r psychmetric assessment may be cnducted
Clsing Date : 04 December 2020
Assumptin f Duty : As sn as pssible
Enquiries : [email protected]
HOW TO APPLY:
The cmpleted prescribed applicatin frm must be accmpanied by cmprehensive
curriculum vitae and certified cpies (within the previus three mnths) f:
- all educatinal qualificatins;
- identity dcument; and
- prf f Suth African Qualificatins Authrity (SAQA) verificatin f freign
- The detailed advertisement tgether with the prescribed applicatin frm can be
fund n the Unisa website (www.unisa.ac.za).
Applicatins must be submitted via an email which clearly indicates the Reference
number f the Prject Directr psitin in the Subject as fllws:
- Ref: YALI/DIR/10/2020
- Applicatins shuld be emailed t [email protected]
- UNISA reserves the right t authenticate all qualificatins withut any further cnsent
frm the applicant.
- The cntact details f three cntactable references must be prvided, ne f which
must be frm yur present emplyer.
- UNISA is nt bliged t fill an advertised psitin.
- Late, incmplete and incrrect applicatins will nt be cnsidered.
- Appintments will be made in accrdance with SBL’s Emplyment Equity Plan and
ther applicable legislatin.
Crrespndence will be limited t shrt-listed candidates nly. If yu have nt
been cntacted within tw mnths f the clsing date f this advertisement,
please accept that yur applicatin was nt successful.